Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Some Not-So-Lame Advice for Library Job Seekers

Unfortunately, in the world of school libraries, we have more job turn over than I'd like. But since I am not the one who sets the salary and benefit schedules, there is little I can do to prevent this other than do my best to get the right person into the right school at the right time. Given the current market, I have be fortunate enough to have had my pick of some exceptional candidates (and had to weed through many not-so-exceptional ones as well). Recently I heard some pretty lame job seeking advice from non-library managers so below are a few do's and don'ts I have for those applying in our field.

Actually Submitted to Me

DO fill out the entire application online. I know it feels redundant, but if you're prompted by the online application software, just do it. If it is blank, I usually think the applicant is lazy or is just resume blastingAttached resumes usually come at the bottom of the form and I don't see them until the end. If I have 200 applications to go through, I only open resumes of candidates who look qualified in the initial application.  


DON'T apply if you don't qualify. If you are a poly-sci major or architect or some other profession that has nothing to do with library services, please don't apply. It takes away time that I could be reviewing applications of qualified candidates, and quite frankly, it is irritating. If you really want a job as a librarian, you need more than "love to read" listed among your qualifications. Volunteer or intern. Go to library school. We all had to so don't insult me by thinking you can do my job without any formal education or training. 


DO check your application for typos and grammar. I cannot believe I have to say this, but you'd be surprised


DON'T stop in to drop off your resume in person unless it is specifically stated. Some will tell you this is showing your interest, but usually it is just annoying. We have procedures in place; show us you are interested by displaying your ability to follow them. 


DO send a thank you note. It does show you care. But send it in an email. Sometimes we make a decision the day of or day after interviews and your snail mail will arrive after we've made the cut. 


DON'T come unprepared. Take the time to look at the school's website, library collection, programs, etc. online. We always appreciate someone who takes the time to be interested in the job for which he or she applying.


DO keep up with the latest news in the industry. The American Library Association and American Association of School Librarians have a JobLIST that has tips and tricks from people like me who are searching for qualified candidates. 



All in all, my advice is apply within your industry, be prepared, and to keep in mind that you get about 20 seconds to make an impression in an application. If you don't like your industry, change it by going to school, volunteering, or interning. I know it is easier said than done, but anything is better than being stuck at a job you hate or an industry that isn't fulfilling right? I may seem like the Library Dragon, but I am passionate about this industry and I want to see applicants who share in my dedication.


EVER onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment